Horsemanship Essentials for Equine Assisted Practitioners
New Dates – Currently Postponed
Please email to register interest
What is included in this unique horsemanship program?
2 Day Clinic
- Discover safe, transformational and authentic ‘horsemanship practice essentials’ for equine therapy, equine assisted psychotherapy and equine assisted learning practitioners
- Learn I-Thou Horsemanship TM principles and practices – including awareness, mindfulness and relational practice with horses
- Includes essentials for safe and mutually beneficial liberty, on-line and led mounted equine experiences/horsemanship practice
Students receive Training Handouts
Light Vegetarian Lunch is provided on each day
Who is this program for?
- People interested in equine therapy, equine assisted psychotherapy, equine assisted learning
- People delivering equine assisted therapy and learning programs who want some more education and practice in horsemanship essentials
- EPI (The Equine Psychotherapy Institute) students, practitioners and certified practitioners looking for a refresh or essential education on horse safety and horsemanship essentials for their equine assisted practice
- People who love Horses, and want to be introduced to a safe, mutually beneficial and loving way of being, doing and leading with horses.
You will learn
- I-Thou Horsemanship Essentials & Horse Safety Protocol
- 4 key areas of Horsemanship Foundations in Equine Assisted Practice– Ethics, Principles, Practice and Life Journey (continuing education with horses and horsemanship).
- Reflective practice skills – reflection on how can shape session delivery
- Pathways to further education and training are:
- Foundation EAP & EAL Training (15 Day Training & Certification)
- 1 Day Introduction to Equine Therapy
- EAL Level 1 Training : Horse Wisdom with Children and Adolescents
Training Learning Objectives
- To understand the principles and practice of I-Thou Horsemanship TM created by Meg Kirby in 2011, including Inclusion, Presence, Rupture & Repair and Confirmation practices with horses.
- To understand the 4 Key Areas of Horsemanship in Equine Assisted Practice – Ethics, Principles, Practice and Life Journey (continuing education with horses and horsemanship).
- To understand basic horse anatomy, bio-mechanics, horse psychology, herd dynamics, and horse care and how to meet the basic needs of horses as a unique species.
- To understand contact and training principles that are mutually beneficial and relaxing for horses and humans – including practitioners and clients.
- To understand the principles and practices of awareness and tracking skills, relaxation response, soft feel, flexibility of communication and pressure, timing, balance, and creativity in horsemanship.
- To understand and apply the EPI (The Equine Psychotherapy Institute) Safety Guideline
- To understand and apply safe experiential and creative principles and practices with Horses.
- To understand ethical issues with horses and apply horse welfare principles
- To understand and apply safety practices with both horses and clients.
- To develop facilitation skills with horses and clients : at liberty, on-line and mounted
- To understand reflective horsemanship practice
- To develop a commitment to continuing personal and professional development.
Horsemanship Essentials for Equine Assisted Practitioners – $397 includes GST
This 2 Day Clinic is
- Experiential – you will be learning via experiencing.
- Professional – Students are introduced to professional principles and practices, including ethical boundaries to conduct safe, appropriate equine experiences with horses for clients in equine assisted practice
- Practice-based – Practitioner and practice oriented.
- Horses as Teachers – Integrating the horses as co-facilitators, assistants, teachers and supports for humans
- Relational – the model is Relational and grounded in relationship-based learning.
- Experimental – Includes Liberty, Ground-based and Mounted experiences with horses for the purpose of human growth and development.
Post Training Support
After completion of training students/practitioners can
Access ongoing Professional Development opportunities
- 1 Day Introduction to Equine Therapy Training
- 15 Day Foundation Equine Assisted Psychotherapy and Equine Assisted Learning Training
- 5 Day EAL Level 1 Horse Wisdom with Children & Adolescents Training
- Advanced Training in Trauma, Addiction and other Wellbeing and Mental Health specialised areas
- EPI Conferences etc.
Access ongoing Personal Development opportunities
- Equine Assisted Psychotherapy sessions
- Self-Care for Practitioners programs
- Referrals to EPI congruent counselling, psychotherapy and coaching support.
To Apply for our Training Program NOW
- Check the dates to ensure you can attend
- Email email@example.com to request an Application Form. Complete and email back.
- Once your place has been confirmed you will receive a Welcome Letter. This will give you information to support you in arranging accommodation, transport, required reading and other information to support preparation and planning for your successful training experience.
Time and Venue for Training
Horsemanship Essentials for Equine Assisted Practitoners
Date – Currently Postponed Please email to register interest
Introducing our Trainers
Meg Kirby Founder of Internationally renowned EPI Model Equine Assisted Psychotherapy and Equine Assisted Learning Education and Training programs, Founder of I-Thou horsemanship TM, Mental Health Social Worker and Psychotherapist of over 22 years. Meg lives, learns and practices with her herd of 13 horses including Arabians, Friesian and Haflinger equine friends.
Louise Atkinson Parelli Level 4 Natural Horsemanship Instructor of over 20 years, Equine Assisted Counsellor, EPI Trainer and Supervisor, Counsellor and Business Support Strategist for equine assisted practitioners.
Meg and Lou are experienced trainers and group facilitators who are passionate about horses, horsemanship and equine assisted practice. Both live and learn with their family herd of horses.