What is Equine Assisted Psychotherapy (EAP)?
EAP is an innovative approach to clinical practice and psychotherapy where clients are invited into safe relational experiences with horses to address therapeutic goals. It is a fast-growing modality across Australia and the globe. EAP is engaging and effective for diverse clients including adults, children, adolescents, organisations, and specialist client groups such as Aboriginal youth, veterans, and clients with trauma, anxiety, depression, and addictions.
Who is this training for?
If you are a psychologist, counsellor, mental health worker, or social worker who love horses, then becoming an EAP practitioner might be the next step in your career.
How is the training delivered?
The Training is delivered over 3 Intensives of 5 Days duration (15 days total).
Once a year, we also offer a 3-week, consecutive “block” training - our immersion training! This suits international students and national students who need to fly in, train, and fly home. This includes training from Monday to Friday each week, for three consecutive weeks, with weekends off in between for integration and processing. This also suits some students who learn best in this immersion-style format.
We also deliver our Training online. Again, this suits international and national students who are unable to travel and have to fit training around work, family and life commitments.
What are the Learning Objectives?
- To understand the theory and practice of the EPI Model and AWARE Therapy™.
- To understand and apply the psychotherapy, experiential and creative principles and practices underpinning the EPI Model and AWARE Therapy™.
- To understand ethical issues and professional standards of practice and safety practices with horses and clients.
- To develop assessment, process and closure skills.
- To review and apply counselling micro-skills, including somatic, emotional, cognitive, relational and behavioural interventions.
- To create appropriate and graded experiments to offer diverse clients and client groups based on assessment and client presentation, with professionalism and sensitivity.
- To understand and apply stage 1 trauma skills.
- To offer trauma-informed equine assisted practice.
- To apply a developmental lens in understanding symptoms, presenting behaviours, patterns.
- To develop skills in working with unconscious processes including working with fixed cognitive, behavioural and relational patterns.
- To understand and apply relational practice in the context of equine assisted therapy.
- To articulate clear therapeutic goals and design appropriate equine experiments to meet client need/presentation.
- To understand and be guided by self-awareness and ‘self as therapist’, understanding the impact of practitioner core themes, patterns and countertransference.
- To understand horse psychology and physiology, herd behaviour and appreciate the relational dynamics that horses bring to the process.
- To understand the relationship between practitioners and their horses and the impact on safety and efficacy of the work for clients, horses and practitioners.
- To develop core competencies in horse safety, horsemanship, therapeutic process and group process.
- To understand and practice I–Thou Horse-person-ship™.
- To understand and practice the EPI Horse Wisdom ® program.
- To identify practitioner limitations and be committed to continuing personal and professional growth and development.
- To begin your successful EAP practice with basic business orientation.
What can you expect from the training journey?
It is an experiential and process-oriented training.
- Professional and Ethical
Students develop professional practice and ethical boundaries to conduct safe, appropriate equine assisted practice.
Personal work is an integral part of the Foundation Training.
Practitioner and practice oriented.
- Research focused
We encourage research and evaluation of programs.
- Horses as Teachers
Including the horses as co-facilitators, assistants, teachers and supports for client change.
The model is Relational and grounded in relationship-based learning.
Includes Liberty, Ground-based and Mounted experiences with horses for the purpose of supporting client change.
What are the Certification Requirements?
- Attend all 15 Days Foundation Training (see Online Foundation Training for Online requirements)
- Submission of 3 Integration Papers
- Facilitate one Practice Assessment
- Submission of filmed Practical EAP Facilitation Demonstration
- Complete at least 2 EAP/ EAL Clinical/Practice Sessions and keep case notes
- Complete 8 monthly Group Supervision/ Study Pod sessions over a 12 month period with Trainer/ Supervisor
- Complete 2 Mentoring Sessions with EPI Supervisor for exam feedback and Equine Studies assessment feedback
- Satisfactory completion of open book Theory Exam (must be completed within 3 months of training completion)
- Completion of Online Equine Studies course (included in course fees)
- Satisfactory completion of Equine Studies and Horse-person-ship Assessment, consisting of Exam, Horse-person-ship Plan and I-Thou Horse-person-ship Video
- Signed/compliance with Institute Code of Ethics
- Includes Required Reading and active participation during training
- Completion of at least 3 personal EAP/ congruent psychotherapy sessions
All completed within 12 months.
What is the Investment?
Intensive One - $1500 plus GST
Intensive Two - $1500 plus GST
Intensive Three - $1500 plus GST
Block Training: (February Victoria only, 15 Days of consecutive training) $4,000 plus GST
Zoom/Skype/Phone Supervision Sessions: Sessions are $120 per session (invoiced and paid at time of session)
Study Pods - $80 per session plus GST
Plus cost of personal EAP/ congruent psychotherapy sessions
For training commencing after 1st July 2021, Course Fees will increase as follows:
Intensive One - $1800 plus GST
Intensive Two - $1800 plus GST
Instensive Three - $1800 plus GST
Block Training: (February Victoria only, 15 Days of consecutive training) $4,900 plus GST
As of 1st July 2021, Supervision Fees will increase as follows:
$150 per session (invoiced and paid at time of session)
Study Pods - $80 per session plus GST
Join one of our life changing programs today
What support will you get?
After completion of training students/practitioners will:
- Join EPI Online Network Group
- Join EPI Closed Facebook Group
- Access EPI Supervision
- Access EPI Model Psychotherapy (as needed)
- Access ongoing Professional Development opportunities – Advanced / Specialist Training, Conferences, Assisting in training etc.
- Have lifetime access to the EPI Community of Practitioners
Why Train with Us?
We are uniquely placed given our training is pitched at the standard you would expect from a post graduate training. The standard of training is high, aimed at a post degree level or equivalent.
We are celebrating our 10th year of training in EAP! We are an established training organisation and have been successfully training hundreds of practitioners since 2011.
We have a unique approach to EAP. Our EPI Model is a psychotherapy model, that is fundamentally founded on ethical practice with both clients and horses. Our faculty is highly qualified and experienced in EAP, and live and breathe this work.
This training program is designed to support you as a practitioner to be personally and professionally competent in working with horses and humans for the purpose of human growth, development and healing, where the horses are honoured as teacher, assistant and co-facilitator.
We will support and challenge you to grow and feel ‘held’ as you grow into grounded and authentic practitioners. Our program sets a high standard for students, practitioners and the wider international community.
As a graduate of our training, you can choose to become a member of our EPI community of practitioners and get access to ongoing support, supervision and advanced, high quality specialist psychotherapy training.