What is Equine Assisted Learning?
EAL is a unique approach to experiential learning, where clients are offered safe experiences with horses for the purpose of learning social-emotional skills, personal development, and professional development skills (e.g. leadership and team building). EAL is a fast-growing modality across Australia and the globe. National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) clients benefit greatly from EAL services as do children, adolescents and adults.
Who is this training for?
- If you love horses and helping people, then becoming an EAL practitioner might be the next step in expanding your career horizons.
- This course is suitable for teachers, coaches, integration aides, disability support workers, horse riding coaches, and anyone with a love of horses and people.
- As an EAL practitioner, you would provide opportunities for clients to develop their skills in a safe and engaging, natural environment. This a fulfilling and fast-growing approach to learning and personal or professional development.
- If you ARE a registered mental health professional, you may be suited to our Equine Assisted Psychotherapy program.
How is the training delivered?
The Training is delivered over 3 Intensives of 5 Days in duration (15 Days total).
Once a year, we also offer a 3-week, consecutive “block” training - our immersion training! This suits international students and national students who need to fly in, train, and fly home. This includes training from Monday to Friday each week, for three consecutive weeks, with weekends off in between for integration and processing. This also suits some students who learn best in this immersion-style format.We also deliver our Training online. Again, this suits our international and national students who are unable to travel and have to fit training around work, family and life commitments.
What are the Learning Objectives?
- To understand the theory and practice of the EPI Model EAL and Aware Therapy™.
- To understand and apply experiential and creative principles and practices.
- To understand ethical issues and professional standards in delivering social-emotional learning and personal development practices.
- To understand and apply safety practices with horses and clients.
- To develop here and now assessment, process and closure skills.
- To create appropriate and graded equine experiences to offer clients based on appropriate assessment, with professionalism and sensitivity.
- To understand and be guided by self-awareness and ‘self as practitioner’, understanding the impact of practitioner core themes or personal styles on clients and the change process.
- To understand horse psychology, herd behaviour and appreciate the subjective and relational dynamics that horses bring to the process.
- To understand the relationship between practitioners and their horses and the impact on safety and efficacy of the work for clients, horses and practitioners.
- To understand and practice I – Thou Horse-person-ship.
- To understand and practice EPI Horse Wisdom® psycho-education programs
- To design and implement a range of equine assisted learning sessions and programs
- To develop a commitment to continuing personal and professional development.
- To begin EAL practice with support and supervision!
What can you expect from the training journey?
Join us for this life-changing training journey:
It is an experiential and process-oriented training.
- Professional and Ethical
Students develop professional practice and ethical boundaries to conduct safe, appropriate equine assisted practice.
Personal work is an integral part of the Foundation Training.
Practitioner and practice oriented.
- Research focused
We encourage research and evaluation of programs.
- Horses as Teachers
Including the horses as co-facilitators, assistants, teachers and supports for client change.
The model is Relational and grounded in relationship-based learning.
Includes Liberty, Ground-based and Mounted experiences with horses for the purpose of supporting client change.
What are the Certification Requirements?
- Attend all 15 Days Foundation Training (see Online Foundation Training for Online requirements)
- Submission of 3 Integration Papers
- Facilitate one Practice Assessment (during Intensive 3 or video submission for online students)
- Complete 2 EAP/ EAL Clinical/Practice Sessions and keep case notes
- Complete 5 Phone / Online Supervision Sessions with EPI Supervisor ($120 plus GST per Supervision, $150 plus GST after July 1st 2021)
- Satisfactory completion of open book Theory Exam (must be completed within 3 months of training completion)
- Completion of Online Equine Studies course (included in course fees)
- Satisfactory completion of Equine Studies and Horse-person-ship Assessment, consisting of Exam, Horse-person-ship Plan and I-Thou Horse-person-ship Video
- Signed/compliance with Institute Code of Ethics
- Includes Required Reading and active participation during training
All completed within 12 months.
What is the Investment?
Intensive One - $1500 plus GST
Intensive Two - $1500 plus GST
Intensive Three - $1500 plus GST
Block Training: (February Victoria only, 15 Days of consecutive training) $4,000 plus GST
Zoom/Skype/Phone Supervision Sessions: Sessions are $120 per session (invoiced and paid at time of session)
For training commencing after 1st July 2021, Course Fees will increase as follows:
Intensive One - $1800 plus GST
Intensive Two - $1800 plus GST
Instensive Three - $1800 plus GST
Block Training: (February Victoria only, 15 Days of consecutive training) $4,900 plus GST
As of 1st July 2021, Supervision Fees will increase as follows:
$150 per session (invoiced and paid at time of session)
What support will you get?
After completion of training students/practitioners will:
- Join EPI Online Network Group
- Join EPI Closed Facebook Group
- Access EPI Supervision
- Access EPI Model Psychotherapy (as needed)
- Access ongoing Professional Development opportunities – Advanced / Specialist Training, Conferences, Assisting in training etc.
- Have lifetime access to the EPI Community of Practitioners
Join one of our life changing programs today
Why Train with Us?
We are uniquely placed given our training is pitched at the standard you would expect from a post graduate training. The standard of training is high, aimed at a post degree level or equivalent.
We are celebrating our 10th year of training in EAP! We are an established training organisation and have been successfully training hundreds of practitioners since 2011.
We have a unique approach to EAP. Our EPI Model is a psychotherapy model, that is fundamentally founded on ethical practice with both clients and horses. Our faculty is highly qualified and experienced in EAP, and live and breathe this work.
This training program is designed to support you as a practitioner to be personally and professionally competent in working with horses and humans for the purpose of human growth, development and healing, where the horses are honoured as teacher, assistant and co-facilitator.
We will support and challenge you to grow and feel ‘held’ as you grow into grounded and authentic practitioners. Our program sets a high standard for students, practitioners and the wider international community.
As a graduate of our training, you can choose to become a member of our EPI community of practitioners and get access to ongoing support, supervision and advanced, high quality specialist psychotherapy training.